Presently I’m a postdoc in the non-linear algebra group of Bernd Sturmfels at the Max-Planck-Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences, Leipzig.
I did my PhD studies within the MathCoRe research training group at Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg under the supervision of Thomas Kahle and Volker Kaibel.
I have a broad interest in the fundamental laws and limits in probability, information theory and geometry. My research is focussed on conditional independence: suppose you observe factors in a (random) experiment; how does that knowledge change the interdependence of the unobserved factors? This is a question in the area of probabilistic reasoning and I am looking for the universal laws governing such reasoning tasks — and ways to prove them computer-algebraically.
The analogue to have in mind is Pappus’s theorem in plane geometry. But instead of points and collinearity, I want to discover the hidden relations of random variables in terms of stochastic independence.
These topics touch algebra, statistics, geometry and computer science. I maintain the website gaussoids.de which contains various computer-readable data about Gaussian conditional independence structures and related objects.
Here is my full CV (last updated 11 Apr 2022).
Publications and preprints
T. Boege: Selfadhesivity in Gaussian conditional independence structures, May 2022,
T. Boege: No eleventh conditional Ingleton inequality, Apr 2022,
T. Boege, S. Petrović, and B. Sturmfels: Marginal Independence Models, Dec 2021,
MarginalIndependence, auxiliary code and data:
T. Boege, T. Kahle, A. Kretschmer, F. Röttger: The geometry of Gaussian double Markovian distributions, Jul 2021,
math.ST/2107.00134. Data: Double Markovian relations.
T. Boege: Incidence geometry in the projective plane via almost-principal minors of symmetric matrices, Mar 2021,
T. Boege: Gaussoids are two-antecedental approximations of Gaussian conditional independence structures, Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, 2021, DOI:10.1007/s10472-021-09780-0,
math.ST/2010.11914. Code related to computations:
gaussant-code. The published version contained misprints for a couple of months. They have been corrected under the above DOI and a statement was published here.
T. Boege, J. I. Coons, C. Eur, A. Maraj, and F. Röttger: Reciprocal Maximum Likelihood Degrees of Brownian Motion Tree Models, Le Matematiche 76(2):383-398, 2021, DOI:10.4418/2021.76.2.6,
T. Boege, and T. Kahle: Construction Methods for Gaussoids, Kybernetika 56(6):1045-1062, 2020, DOI:10.14736/kyb-2020-6-1045,
math.CO/1902.11260. Data: Special gaussoids.
T. Boege, A. D’Alì, T. Kahle, and B. Sturmfels: The Geometry of Gaussoids, Foundations of Computational Mathematics, 19(4):775-812, Aug 2019, DOI:10.1007/s10208-018-9396-x,
math.CO/1710.07175. Data: Gaussoids.de.
T. Boege: The Gaussian conditional independence inference problem, doctoral dissertation, Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg, Nov 2021, dissert.pdf (submitted version). Defense slides.
T. Boege: Construction Methods for Gaussoids, M.Sc. thesis, Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg, Sep 2018, mthesis.pdf.
T. Boege: On Permutations with Decidable Cycles, B.Sc. thesis, Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg, Dec 2016,
- 3 June 2022: Selfadhesivity in Gaussian conditional independence structures, WUPES ’22, Kutná Hora.
- 5 May 2022: Marginal independence models, Applied Algebra and Analysis Online seminar, TU Braunschweig.
- 5 May 2022: Laws of conditional independence, Vista seminar on “Reusability of research data across mathematics”, University of Leipzig.
- 20 April 2022: Entropies and Ingleton’s inequality, Non-linear algebra seminar, MPI-MiS Leipzig.
- 10 March 2022: The laws of Gaussian conditional independence, Tagung der Fachgruppe Computeralgebra, München.
- 28 January 2022: Marginal independence models, TATERS, Boise State University. Recording is available until mid-2022.
- 14 October 2021: The Gaussian CI inference problem (real algebra version), Non-linear algebra seminar, MPI-MiS Leipzig.
- 5 October 2021: Reasoning in Statistics through Algebra, Annual colloquium of MathCoRe, Potsdam.
- 13 September 2021: The Gaussian CI inference problem (information theory version), Mini symposium at the Department of Decision-Making Theory, Institute of Information Theory and Automation, Prague.
- 7 September 2021: The Gaussian CI inference problem (algorithmic reasoning version), Algorithms seminar, Universiteit Utrecht.
- 28 July 2021: The Gaussian CI inference problem (geometry version), Discrete Mathematics / Geometry seminar, TU Berlin.
- 22 August 2019: On discrete representability of Gaussian CI models — From the perspective of the identity matrix, Workshop in memory of František Matúš, Institute of Information Theory and Automation, Prague.
MathCoRe seminar in Magdeburg:
WISST mini-seminar in Magdeburg:
- December 2022: Workshop on Algebraic structures in statistical methodology, MFO Oberwolfach.
- August 2022: European Women in Mathematics General meeting, Aalto.
- July 2022: Workshop on Algorithmic aspects of information theory, Schloss Dagstuhl.
- July 2022: 47th International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation (ISSAC), Lille.
- June 2022: Annual Meeting of the IMS, London.
- June 2022: Arctic MSCA Symposium with Cordian Riener, Tromsø.
- June 2022: 12th Workshop on Uncertainty processing in expert systems (WUPES), Kutná Hora.
- May 2022: Saxonian seminar day on Algebra and geometry, Dresden.
- March 2022: Combinatorial cowork space on Algebraic and geometric combinatorics, Kleinwalsertal.
- March 2022: Tagung der Fachgruppe Computeralgebra, München.
- November 2021: MaRDI kickoff workshop, MPI-MiS Leipzig.
- 1 October 2021: Mathematics in the Sciences Day, MPI-MiS Leipzig.
- 12–18 September 2021: Research stay at UTIA Prague with Milan Studený.
- August 2021: Conference SIAM AG, Texas A&M.
- July 2021: Mini-course on Convex Geometry, MPI-MiS Leipzig.
2020 2021: Graduate student meeting in Applied algebra and combinatorics, Online, Copenhagen.
- April 2021: Compact course Algebra of tensors, MathCoRe Magdeburg.
- August 2020: Compact course Polynomial optimization, MathCoRe Magdeburg.
- June – July 2020: Working group on Linear spaces of symmetric matrices, MPI-MiS Leipzig.
- June – August 2020: Mentoring of Garett Cunningham in summer project Formal conditional independence structures. Organized by DAAD-RISE, executed online.
- March 2020: Spring school on Mathematical statistics, MPI-MiS Leipzig, canceled.
- March 2020: Workshop Algebraic structures in statistical methodology, Oberwolfach, canceled.
- October 2019: Workshop on Graphical models: Conditional independence and algebraic structures, München.
- September 2019: Compact course Statistical data acquisition and analysis, MathCoRe Magdeburg.
- August 2019: Workshop in memory of František Matúš, UTIA CAS, Prague.
- July 2019: Conference SIAM AG, Bern.
- June 2019: Workshop on Applied algebra, Braunschweig.
- June 2019: Compact course Invitation to non-linear algebra, MPI-MiS Leipzig.
- February 2019: Graduate student meeting in Applied algebra and combinatorics, MPI-MiS Leipzig.
- January 2019: Workshop on Theoretical computer science and algebraic geometry, MPI-INF Saarbrücken.
- June 2018: Macaulay2 Workshop, MPI-MiS Leipzig.
- July 2016: Foundations of Mathematics: Univalent foundations and set theory, ZiF Bielefeld.